HomeRegional₹187 crore case: BJP demands Nagendra’s resignation, rejects CID...

₹187 crore case: BJP demands Nagendra’s resignation, rejects CID clean chit

BENGALURU: Karnataka Leader of Opposition R Ashoka on Wednesday said the BJP would continue its campaign until Minister B Nagendra resigns over the alleged illegal transfer of funds from the Karnataka Maharshi Valmiki Scheduled Tribes Development Corporation.

Speaking to reporters in Bengaluru, Ashoka said the BJP had earlier mounted a protest that resulted in Nagendra’s resignation and claimed the party would repeat its efforts.

Ashoka rejected Nagendra’s criticism of the CBI and Enforcement Directorate (ED) investigations as politically motivated, arguing that both agencies had been functioning for several decades.

He alleged that ₹187 crore belonging to the Valmiki corporation was illegally transferred and claimed that some of the money reached accounts linked to Nagendra and people close to him. Referring to the CBI chargesheet, Ashoka said details of transactions involving around 600 bank accounts had emerged during the investigation.

The BJP leader also rejected the clean chit reportedly given by the state CID, saying Nagendra should secure relief from a court, particularly the special court dealing with cases involving elected representatives.

Ashoka said the money involved belonged to members of the Scheduled Tribes community and alleged that accountability must be fixed in the case.

He reiterated that the BJP would continue its campaign until Nagendra steps down, keeping the alleged financial irregularities in the Valmiki corporation at the centre of its attack on the state government.