HomeRegional3. Pellet gun case: Priyank Kharge questions delay in...

3. Pellet gun case: Priyank Kharge questions delay in filing FIR

BENGALURU: Karnataka minister Priyank Kharge on Saturday said it was unfortunate that Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi had to stage an eight-hour protest at a Delhi police station to get an FIR registered in connection with an alleged pellet gun attack.

Speaking to reporters in Bengaluru, Kharge questioned why Rahul Gandhi had to intervene when the identity of those allegedly involved in the incident was known. He asked how an ordinary citizen seeking justice at a police station could be expected to deal with such a situation.

Following Rahul Gandhi’s protest, Delhi Police registered an FIR under Sections 118 and 125 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS). The case followed a complaint by a person who alleged that he was injured in a pellet gun attack at Connaught Place on July 20.

The complainant reportedly underwent treatment at AIIMS and alleged that the incident affected his eyesight.

Kharge also targeted the Centre over the ongoing ‘Vande Mataram’ controversy, alleging that issues such as unemployment, economic distress and police action against protesting students were being pushed out of public discussion.

He demanded that Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah clarify their position on the pellet gun case.

Kharge also criticised the BJP’s ongoing padayatra in Karnataka, alleging that it was aimed at avoiding meaningful debate in the Assembly and masking differences between state BJP president B Y Vijayendra and Leader of Opposition R Ashoka.

On former minister B Nagendra, Kharge said the government had not received any request seeking sanction for CBI prosecution.

Regarding the missing IAS officer, he said no complaint had been received from the family and that search efforts were continuing.