HomeIndiaPatna HC restores Pappu Yadav's 'Y+' security, calls Bihar...

Patna HC restores Pappu Yadav’s ‘Y+’ security, calls Bihar govt’s downgrade as ‘arbitrary’

Patna, May 19 (IANS) The Patna High Court has set aside the Bihar government’s decision to downgrade the security cover of Independent Lok Sabha MP Rajesh Ranjan, popularly known as Pappu Yadav, from ‘Y+’ to ‘Y’ category, holding that the move was “arbitrary and whimsical” and violated principles of natural justice.

A single-judge Bench of Justice Jitendra Kumar directed the Bihar Home Secretary to restore the ‘Y+’ category security cover that had earlier been granted to the Purnia MP before it was scaled down in September 2025.

The Patna High Court was hearing a writ petition filed by Yadav seeking enhancement of his security cover in view of alleged threats to his life and property from criminal gangs, including those linked to jailed gangster Lawrence Bishnoi and Chhotu Yadav.

“The decision of the Bihar Government dated 23.09.2025, scaling down the security cover of the petitioner from ‘Y+’ to ‘Y’ category, is arbitrary and whimsical. There is no relevant material on record which may sustain it,” Justice Kumar observed.

The judge added that the state government had neither sought inputs from the MP before downgrading his security cover nor communicated the decision to him.

“Even the Principles of Natural Justice have not been complied with while taking decision. No input was sought from the protectee/petitioner, so that the competent authority could examine or verify them,” the Patna High Court said, adding that executive decisions affecting a person’s liberty and safety must be informed by fairness and objective material.

“Ours is a constitutional democracy. There is supremacy of the Constitution and the law made thereunder. Principles of Natural Justice and due process of law are an integral part of our legal system,” the order said.

During the hearing, counsel appearing for Yadav argued that although the Bihar government had upgraded his security cover from ‘Y’ to ‘Y+’ category through an order dated August 9, 2025, the same was never communicated to him. However, within about six weeks, the state government scaled down the cover back to the ‘Y’ category on September 23, 2025, again without informing him.

The Bihar government defended its decision, contending that the assessment of threat perception and grant or withdrawal of security cover falls within the executive domain and cannot be claimed as a matter of right.

However, after perusing the official records, the Patna High Court found that the only basis for downgrading Yadav’s security was a report submitted by the Superintendent of Police, Purnia. The report itself did not conclude that the threat perception against the MP had diminished; it merely stated that Yadav had not lodged criminal complaints regarding the alleged threats from criminal gangs.

“Hence, the order dated 23.09.2025 scaling down the security cover of the Petitioner from ‘Y+’ to ‘Y’ category is set aside, and status quo ante stands restored,” Justice Kumar ordered.

The Bihar government was further directed to take a fresh decision on Yadav’s plea for enhancement of security cover by considering inputs from the MP as well as security agencies and pass a reasoned order in accordance with law.

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court had permitted Pappu Yadav to move the Patna High Court for an early hearing of his pending plea seeking enhancement of his security cover from ‘Y’ to ‘Z’ category in view of alleged threats from the Lawrence Bishnoi gang.

–IANS

pds/skp

Latest