Regional
Villagers around Amangarh Tiger Reserve in UP demand fencing
Bijnor (Uttar Pradesh), Dec 20 (IANS) A month after the Amangarh Tiger Reserve (ATR) was thrown open to tourists, the residents of surrounding villages have demanded permanent fencing to confine animals within the boundaries of the ATR.The villagers claim that due to increased vehicular movement in the area, more and more animals are straying into human settlements.
"We have deer and other animals straying into the villages but very soon, we will have tigers coming in," said Ratan Raj, a local resident.
There are 22 villages on the fringes of the ATR.
The forest department spokesman has said, "Exact demarcation is yet to take place to ascertain the borders of the ATR, which is a buffer zone of the Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve. There are 42 villages located on the bordering area of forest from Nagina range to Amangarh Tiger reserve area."
Bijnor divisional forest officer Anil Kumar Patel said, "Some villagers have approached us two days ago. They have staked claim that wild animals are straying into their fields and villages due to tourist movement in Amangarh. However, their claims seem to be baseless right now."
--IANS
amita/dpb
Zika scare: K’taka health dept relieved as 21 pregnant women test negative for virus
Raichur (Karnataka), Dec 20 (IANS) The authorities at the Karnataka Health Department heaved a sigh of relief after 21 pregnant women tested negative for Zika virus on Tuesday.Reports of 30 more expectant mothers are awaited.
Their samples were sent to the National Institute of Virology in Pune against the backdrop of a five-year-old girl testing positive for Zika virus last week in Raichur district. The remaining reports are expected in a couple of days, according to sources.
The Health department is on high alert mode following the confirmation of the first case of Zika virus in the state. The state government had issued directions for the health department to initiate all precautionary measures to contain the spread of the disease.
Dr Aditya S Chowti, Senior Consultant - Internal Medicine, Fortis Hospital at Cunningham Road in Bangalore stated pregnant women must be careful regarding this disease, as there is an increased risk of miscarriage, including serious birth defects in infants. So, it is best to have some preventive measures to prevent contracting this disease. Everyone must take the necessary methods to prevent mosquito bites. Also, ensure that the mosquitoes' breeding grounds are destroyed or not allowed to happen.
Zika fever is a vector-borne viral disease caused by the Zika virus and is spread through mosquito bites. There are some specific complications. In rare cases, it can cause a nervous system complication, which we call Guillain-Barre syndrome. It can be possible even in people who don't show blatant symptoms of the infection, he said.
Dr Ramesh B.R., Consultant - Pulmonology, Manipal Hospital Malleshwaram stated that Zika is a virus primarily transmitted by a type of mosquito called Aedes. In most cases, people diagnosed with this virus don't show symptoms, however in some people they show symptoms like fever, rash, mild body ache, joint pains, headache, and malaise which is commonly seen in other seasonal viruses also.
It is essential for pregnant women to be careful because if they catch the infection the infant may develop some neurological complications. This infection can also cause preterm birth and some infants may experience deformity. There are no neurological symptoms seen among adults and children, he explained.
Zika virus was first reported in African countries way back in 1947. Currently, there are no vaccines available to treat this viral disease. The best way to control this infection is by adopting preventive methods like avoiding potential breeding grounds. Mosquitoes can cause many other viral diseases like dengue, malaria, and so on. It is essential to take environmental measures to prevent the spread of infection from one person to another person.
Dr Ramesh explained, although there is one case reported in Karnataka, the government is taking strict measures to prevent the spread of the disease. If any person is suffering from the disease for more than a week, then one must consult their doctor and get evaluated immediately.
There are already many viruses and seasonal flu in the air including the common flu, H1N1, and even Corona variants. Most of the symptoms of these diseases overlap, which can lead to wrong diagnosis, hence laboratory tests are essential for the right diagnosis. The best way to control this disease is by monitoring the spread and early diagnosis, Dr Ramesh stated.
--IANS
mka/shb/
Allahabad HC issues notice after Dalit woman’s name removed from voter’s list
Prayagraj (Uttar Pradesh), Dec 20 (IANS) The Allahabad High Court has issued notices to Sambhal special SC/ST Act judge along with district magistrate Manish Bansal, SDM, tehsildar, naib tehsildar and a booth level officer (BLO), on a plea by a Dalit woman, who claimed that her name was 'removed' from the voter's list during the 2022 Uttar Pradesh Assembly election.According to the petitioner Seema Devi, a resident of Akbarpur village in the Chandausi area of Sambhal district, she had raised several complaints but no action was taken and she could not exercise her voting rights.
Later, she tried to lodge a complaint under section 156 (3) of CrPC in the court of the SC/ST judge but the latter refused to order an FIR.
Consequently, Seema approached the HC and filed a criminal appeal.
Seema's counsel Vimlesh Kumari told the reporters, "My client's vote was cancelled without giving her any notice. Despite staying in the same address, she could not vote. After failing to get any response from administrative officials, she filed a case in the special SC/ST court but the judge, instead of ordering an FIR, directed the police to carry out an investigation."
Vimlesh Kumari further said, "After three months, an affidavit was submitted in the court by the district administration that Seema was found 'not living at the address' and our complaint was quashed. Thereafter, we approached the Allahabad HC. Since the affidavit was signed by all officials from BLO to DM, the HC issued notice to all of them. This matter will be heard on February 28."
A senior administrative official said, "The name has not been automatically removed from the voter's list. There is a timely revision and if someone is not living at a particular place for a long duration, then the BLO can remove the name after a proper survey."
District Magistrate Sambhal, Manish Bansal said, "I am unaware of this complaint and yet to receive any HC notice. We will take appropriate action once the notice is received."
--IANS
amita/dpb
Horatti files nomination as BJP’s candidate for K’taka Legislative Council Speaker’s post
Belagavi (Karnataka), Dec 20 (IANS) BJP MLC and senior politician Basavaraj Horatti, who joined the saffron party recently, on Tuesday filed nomination for the post of Speaker of the Legislative Council.MLC Horatti submitted his nomination papers to the authorities at Belagavi Suvarna Soudha. Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai, BJP Central Parliamentary Committee Member and former CM B.S. Yediyurappa and other senior leaders were present on the occasion.
Ruling BJP had finalised the name of Horatti for the post in a meeting held on Monday under the chairmanship of Minister for Social Welfare Department and Backward Classes Welfare Department Kota Srinivas Poojari. The elections will be held on Wednesday.
BJP MLC Raghunatha Malkapure, in-charge Speaker was an aspirant for the post. But, the party had assured Horatti, who was holding the post of Speaker of the Council earlier also, that he would be given the same post, when he joined the BJP in the presence of Union Minister for Home Amit Shah.
Horatti, once close to former Prime Minister H.D. Deve Gowda decided to join the BJP as he could not get the post of minister in the cabinet of Congress-JD (S) coalition government. Horatti commands respect from the members of all parties in the Assembly.
The Legislative Council has a total strength of 75 members. The BJP has 39 seats, Opposition Congress has 26 and JD(S) 8 seats. The BJP can easily elect its candidate as the required number is 38. Sources said that along with the ruling party, Horatti is likely to get the support of some members of the opposition parties as well.
--IANS
mka/dpb
‘It’s a family issue’, says T’gana minister after criticism by 5 MLAs
Hyderabad, Dec 20 (IANS) A day after five MLAs of Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS) took a dig at him over the issue of nominated posts, labour minister Malla Reddy on Tuesday termed it a family issue and denied that there were any differences between them.The minister told the mediapersons that BRS is a disciplined party and any issue will be sorted out like family matters.
"This is a family issue. We live like brothers and like any family there will be some minor issues," said Malla Reddy, who alleged that the media exaggerated the remarks made by some MLAs.
Stating that he is a Gandhian, the minister said he would talk to the MLAs. "If necessary, I will invite all of them to my residence. Some people are deliberately blowing things out of proportion," he said.
The minister clarified that he has no role in making appointments to the nominated posts as this is done by Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao and BRS working president K.T. Rama Rao.
Five MLAs from Medchal Malkajgiri district had Monday alleged that all nominated posts are being cornered by Malla Reddy.
The MLAs from Malkajgiri, Uppal, Qutbullahpur, Serilingampalli and Kuktapally had held a meeting at the residence of Malkajgiri legislator Mynampally Hanumantha Rao in Dullpally.
Hanumantha Rao, B. Subhash Reddy, M. Krishna Rao, Arikepudi Gandhi and Vivekananda and some other leaders attended the meeting.
The MLAs openly expressed their unhappiness over their supporters not getting the posts. They complained that all posts were going to Medchal constituency, represented by minister Malla Reddy.
They found fault with the minister's style of functioning. They said that Malla Reddy was not carrying together all party leaders in the district while taking important decisions like appointment of market committee chairman.
Krishna Rao stated that injustice was being done to the party workers in their constituencies as all the posts were being given to only one constituency
The MLA said though Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao had asked Mallareddy to consult all while making the appointments but he was not taking others into confidence.
--IANS
ms/dpb
People celebrate as prowling tiger captured in K’taka
Bengaluru, Dec 20 (IANS) The prowling tiger, which created panic in the Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka, has been caught and shifted to the zoo by the forest authorities, authorities said on Tuesday.The people of Ulavi village in Joida taluk were celebrating the development and praised the efforts of the forest department to trap the tiger.
Fear had gripped the entire region as the prowling tiger killed 10 cows and livestock in a week. Every day the tiger would come to the residential territory and attack livestock. It managed to kill one or two cows or calves every day and dragged them to the forest.
It attacked three cows in Chandrali, Henakola and two oxen in Mele areas. Authorities said that since the tiger was aged, it targeted cows and livestock kept in the barn attached to the houses.
Earlier, the locals had vented out their ire on the forest officials for not being able to catch the prowling tiger which could have turned into a man eater anytime. The people feared for their safety, especially for children and women. The people demanded the District in-charge minister Kota Srinivas Poojari and Congress legislator, senior politician R.V. Deshapande to solve their problem.
Deputy Conservator of Forests for the Kali Reserve Forest area Mario Christraja led the team and monitored the operations to catch the tiger. The big cat was finally trapped in the cage. Uluvi Gram Panchayat Vice President Manjunath Mokashi congratulated the forest officials for helping the people of the region.
--IANS
mka/dpb
Maha to bring in Lokayukta Act, CM, Cabinet will be covered
Nagpur, Dec 18 (IANS) In a major move, the Maharashtra government on Sunday said it has decided to bring a bill to appoint a Lokayukta in the state, with powers to scrutinise the Chief Minister and the entire Cabinet, for a transparency in administration and to eliminate corruption.Making the announcement at the customary press briefing on the eve of commencement of the Winter session of the Maharashtra legislature, back in the state's second capital city after a span of three years, from Monday, Chief Minister Eknath Shinde and Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said this was following the submission of anti- corruption crusader Anna Hazare's demand to make the state corruption free.
Shinde said the three-member Lokayukta will be set up, comprising a Chairman of the rank of a Supreme Court Judge or Chief Justice of High Court, while the two members will be on the rank of High Court judges. This was a long pending demand and issue, Fadnavis
added.
A cabinet meeting, held at the Chief Minister's camp residence under the chairmanship of Shinde, discussed the matter at length and adopted the resolution and the bill will be tabled in the ensuing Assembly session, Fadnavis said.
Shinde avoided a direct question on whether the Act will be retrospective covering all previous Chief Ministers, while Fadnavis said the Prevention of Corruption Act will be incorporated in this Act.
On the Maharashtra-Karnataka border row, Shinde said that it was was taken seriously and both Chief Ministers met Union Home Minister, Amit Shah.
Meanwhile, the opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi has decided to corner the Shinde-Fadnavis government on the issues of border dispute that triggered violence in the states, the alleged "insult" of state icons, like Shivaji, Mahatma Fule and Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar by Governor B.S. Koshyari and other BJP leaders, the demand for the removal of Governor Koshyari and other key issues of agrarian distress such as inflation, relief for the flood-hit farmers and unemployment, in the session.
Informing this after a meeting with all opposition leaders, Leader of Opposition Ajit Pawar said that they have also boycotted the customary tea party hosted by Chief Minister Shinde in protest over these issues by the six-month old government.
"The Opposition will also target the government over big-ticket investment projects preferring other states over Maharashtra and the agrarian distress," he said.
The opposition will also corner the Shinde-Fadnavis government for allowing mega industrial projects - Vedanta-Foxconn, Tata-Airbus and others - shifting to Gujarat and other states. The state was deprived of huge investment, along with employment opportunities for lakhs of youths for moving such industries to other states, he said.
He said that there would be no compromise on the issue of removal of Koshyari as Governor and all opposition parties would focus on it during the two-week session.
--IANS
joseph/vd
R.S. Bhatthi appointed as new DGP of Bihar
Patna Dec 18 (IANS) : Bihar government has appointed Rajender Singh Bhatthi as the new Director General of Police (DGP) of the state.Bhatthi will take charge from current DGP Sanjiv Kumar Singhal who will retire on Monday.
Bhatthi was instrumental in arresting late Bahubali leader Mohammad Shahabuddin in 2005 when he was the SP of Siwan.
Bhatthi, a 1990 batch Bihar cadre IPS officer, is currently holding the post of Additional Director General of Police (ADGP), Seema Suraksha Bal. He was also deployed on central deputation twice in his career and also worked in CBI.
IANS
ajk/arm
MP Assembly’s five-day winter session to begin from Monday
Bhopal, Dec 18 (IANS) The five-day winter session of the Madhya Pradesh Assembly, commencing from Monday and ending on December 23, is likely to be stormy as the opposition has planned to corner the ruling BJP on various issues.The Congress has already announced to bring a no-confidence motion against the Shivraj Singh Chouhan government during the session.
To ensure that the session runs smoothly, Assembly Speaker Girish Gautam on Sunday chaired an all-party meeting, and appealed to both the ruling party and the opposition to utilise maximum time for discussion of public welfare issues.
Leaders from from both government and opposition, who attended the all party meet, said they have assured that they would not create any hurdles and a healthy discussion will be held during the session.
The meeting was attended by Home and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Narottam Mishra and Leader of Opposition Govind Singh.
"During the all party meeting, a consensus has been reached among the members that the House should be run in a cordial atmosphere during the winter session and more and more members should be given an opportunity to speak," Mishra told the press after the meeting.
On the other hand, state Congress chief Kamal Nath chaired a meeting of party MLAs at his residence and advised them to raise questions on every public issue pertaining to their respective constituencies. The Congress has prepared to corner the BJP government on various issues, including increasing unemployment, law and order situation, atrocities against women and tribal people, and many more.
--IANS
pd/vd
Strong ‘atmosphere of development and trust’ created in UP: Naqvi
Lucknow, Dec 18 (IANS) Former Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, after addressing Minority Rights Day programme here on Sunday, met Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and discussed various issues.After meeting, Naqvi tweeted: "Met the illustrious Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Shri @myogiadityanath ji in Lucknow today and discussed various issues of socio-economic-educational empowerment. Under the able leadership of Yogi ji, a strong atmosphere of 'development and trust' has been created in the state".
Speaking to IANS, Naqvi said that "it was a great meeting with respected Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath. We discussed various issues... how an environment of trust and development has created under his leadership. We discussed many important issues as well that will he fruitful in future."
Addressing programme, organised by Uttar Pradesh Minorities Commission in Lucknow, he said that the "crook contractors of votes" have committed "cruel, communal, criminal conspiracy" against the minorities to "hijack" their socio-economic and educational empowerment.
--IANS
dr/vd
