HomeIndia85 pc demolition done as anti-encroachment drive continues in...

85 pc demolition done as anti-encroachment drive continues in Mumbai’s Bandra amid tight security

Mumbai, May 21 (IANS) The anti-encroachment demolition drive near Bandra East railway station resumed on Thursday with heavy security deployment, a day after tensions flared during the operation following a stone-pelting and lathi-charge incident linked to the demolition of a religious structure.

Officials said nearly 85 per cent of the overall demolition work at the site has now been completed as authorities continue action against illegal encroachments in the area.

According to officials associated with the operation, around 1,200 security personnel have been deployed at the demolition site to maintain law and order and prevent any further disturbances.

Speaking to IANS, CPRO Vineet Abhishek said, “The demolition work has been going on continuously… By yesterday evening, we had completed about 60 per cent of the demolition work, and as of today, nearly 85 per cent of the demolition has been completed. During the entire operation, we are ensuring that, since the matter is very sensitive, the humanitarian aspect is maintained, and no one gets injured. Heavy machinery is being used, and we are taking full care. If anyone faces any difficulty, we are also trying to help them.”

The situation had turned tense on Wednesday after clashes reportedly broke out during the demolition of a religious structure, leading to incidents of stone-pelting and a subsequent police lathi charge to control the crowd.

Following the violence that erupted on Wednesday, the Mumbai Police registered an FIR at Nirmal Nagar Police Station against 10 identified accused people and several others under multiple provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS).

According to the FIR, the incident took place on Wednesday in the Garib Nagar locality near Bandra East railway station during an operation aimed at removing illegal encroachments and unauthorised structures.

For maintaining law and order during the operation, personnel from the Mumbai Police, the Railway Protection Force (RPF), Home Guards and other departments had been deployed at the site.

As per the police complaint, while authorities were carrying out the demolition exercise, a crowd of nearly 100 to 150 people gathered in the area and started protesting against the action.

Despite the unrest witnessed during the previous day’s operation, the demolition drive resumed with the same intensity and security arrangements on Thursday morning.

Railway authorities stated that there are no additional religious structures remaining at the site that are scheduled for demolition as part of the ongoing operation.

Officials further said that of the nearly 500 illegal structures identified for demolition, around 60 per cent had already been removed by Wednesday itself, while the remaining work is progressing rapidly.

Authorities also indicated that the land involved in the anti-encroachment drive holds substantial commercial value, estimated at nearly Rs 600 crore.

The large-scale demolition exercise is being carried out as part of an effort to clear encroachments from railway land and reclaim public property in the Bandra East area.

Meanwhile, security personnel continue to remain stationed across the locality as a precautionary measure to ensure that the situation remains under control during the ongoing operation.

–IANS

sd/rad

Latest